Working in the UK

There are several types of visa which give legal rights for migrants to work in the United Kingdom. Some of these visas provide the option to apply for settlement if you qualify or meet the required criteria in due course, leading to Indefinite Leave to Remain/Citizenship.
The following visas give the legal right to work in the United Kingdom:

  • Tier 1 – General: this visa is designed for individuals who do not want to sign up with one specific employer in the United Kingdom, allowing them to change their job at any time. It can be described as an individual work permit. Currently this route is closed.
  • Tier 1 – Post-study workers: this visa is designed for students who have studied in the UK, and can be issued for up to 2 years. It does not lead to settlement. Currently this route is closed.
  • Tier 1 – Entrepreneurs: this visa is designed for businessmen who want to set up their business or buy a new business in the UK. However, it is mandatory to invest at least £200,000 in this business.
  • Tier 2 (new hire and intra company transferees): this visa is designed for companies that want to sponsor migrant workers.

Many other types of visas also give permission to work in the United Kingdom, such as visas that apply to entertainers, ministers of religion, overseas government employees, sole representatives, representatives of overseas newspapers as well as many other professions.
If you are not sure which visa is appropriate for you, please contact us for assessment.

How We Can Help

We can advise and assist you in the following:

    • Checking your eligibility, advice, assisting and obtaining a Tier 2 (General), or Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa either in country from the UK Border Agency or out of country from a British Diplomatic Post in your country of origin/residence;
    • Extending your current Tier 1(General), HSMP, Tier 1 (Entrepreneur), visa in the UK;
    • Checking your eligibility and offering advice, assistance and helping you to obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship on your employer’s behalf and a Tier 2 (General or Intra Company Transfer) visa from the UK Border Agency or a British Diplomatic Post overseas;
    • Obtaining other types of visas (such as sole representative, representatives of overseas newspapers etc.) that will allow you to work in the UK; or,
    • Fast tracking your Tier 1 (General) extension, Tier 1 (Post Study Worker) application, Tier 2 ( General or Intra Company Transfer) intial or extension application in the UK and can obtain the visa in 1 working day subject to available slots at the UK Border Agency.


…and someone from our immigration team will get back to you within 24 hours.