Tier 5 Temporary Work Visa

Tier 5 for Temporary Workers and the Youth Mobility Scheme was launched worldwide on 27 November 2008.

Tier 5 – Youth Mobility Scheme

The Youth Mobility Scheme replaced the working holidaymaker scheme and currently 7 countries – Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Monaco, Taiwan and the Republic of Korea have joined the scheme. British Overseas Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens or British Nationals (Overseas) are also eligible to apply for a youth mobility visa.

The UK authorities allocate places on the Youth Mobility Scheme each year and more countries may participate in future.

Applicants need to demonstrate that they have sufficient money (£1,600) to maintain and support themselves in the UK without claiming public funds.

The minimum requirement is that applicants must score 40 points. They can score 30 points for their nationality (Australia, Canada, Japan or New Zealand) or by proving that they are a British Overseas Citizen, British Overseas Territories Citizen or British National (Overseas).

The remaining 10 points can be scored for their age (18 to 31 years of age on the date of application).

You must score a total of 40 points for these two criteria, which are stipulated requirements in Appendix A of the Immigration Rules.

Tier 5 Temporary Workers

Tier 5 Temporary Worker scheme consists of five categories which are as follows:

  • Creative and sporting – this visa is designed for sportspeople, entertainers or creative artists that need to perform or work in the UK for up to 12 months. In order to obtain this visa, a sportsperson needs to be well known internationally and contribute significantly to the development of his sport in the UK. The sponsor must obtain an endorsement from the appropriate sporting governing body. The endorsement must state that the candidate is well known internationally and will contribute to the development of the sport, and that this post could not be filled in by a EEA national;
  • Charity worker – this visa is designed for voluntary workers. Under this category, charity workers cannot do any paid activities in the UK. In order to issue the Certificate of Sponsorship, the sponsor must confirm that the intended work is directly related to the purpose of the charity, the candidate will not be paid or receive other payment, will not take a permanent position and will not breach conditions of his permission to stay and leave in the UK.
  • Religious worker – for religious workers to work in the UK. The sponsor will have to guarantee that candidates are qualified to do the job, do not intend to take other employment for the employer except as a visiting religious worker, will only work at the specified location (s), and that the job will not deny an opportunity to a suitably qualified worker within the resident labour force.
  • Government authorized exchange – Government authorized exchange is designed for applicants who come to the UK to share knowledge, experience and best practice through work placements. Before issuing this visa, the sponsor must ensure that candidates are coming to the UK to work or train temporarily here through an approved exchange scheme, that they do not have any plans to establish a business in the United Kingdom and meet the requirements of the individual exchange scheme.
  • International agreement – this is for people who come to the UK to provide a service under international law.

All applicants under Tier 5 (Temporary Worker Visas) need a sponsor, which must be a UK based organisation.

The organisation must register with the UK Border Agency and obtain a licence which will give them full rights to bring people to the UK under the Tier 5 Temporary workers scheme.

Click here to schedule a discussion about your application…

…and someone from our immigration team will get back to you within 24 hours.